Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo

1 hour ago 5
ARTICLE AD BOX

1 hour ago

Emery MakumenoBBC Africa, Kinshasa

Reuters Fire and smoke at the of burnt tents on the grounds of Rwampara General Hospital. A police officer with a gun can be seen to the right of the shot in front of other makeshift tents.Reuters

The unrest highlights the struggle authorities face as cases of the virus rise

An angry crowd set alight a section of a hospital at the epicentre of the Ebola outbreak in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo after family and friends of a young man thought to have died from the virus were prevented from taking his body away for burial.

"They started throwing projectiles at the hospital. They even set fire to tents that were being used as isolation wards," local politician Luc Malembe Malembe told the BBC about the scene he witnessed at Rwampara General Hospital.

In the chaos, police fired warning shots to disperse the crowd.

The body of a dead Ebola victim is highly infectious and the authorities need to ensure safe burial to stop the spread of the virus.

Medical workers at the Rwampara hospital, located near the city of Bunia in Ituri province, where almost all of the cases have been reported, were placed under military protection as the police moved in to restore order.

A healthcare worker was injured by stone-throwing protesters before law enforcement agents intervened, a hospital worker told the AFP news agency.

The man who died was a popular figure in the local community and those upset by his death did not "grasp the reality of the disease," Jean Claude Mukendi, who is co-ordinating the security response to Ebola in Ituri, told the Associated Press.

Witnesses told Reuters the young man was a footballer who had played with several local teams. His mother told the news agency she believed her son had died of typhoid fever, not Ebola.

Malembe said the crowd did not believe the virus, which has so far killed more than 130 in eastern DR Congo, was real.

"People are not properly informed or sensitised about what is happening. For a certain segment of the population, especially in remote areas, Ebola is an invention by outsiders - it does not exist," the politician said.

"They believe it is the NGOs and hospitals creating this to make money, and this is tragic."

He said two tents had been burned down, along with a body that had been due to be buried.

The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends "safe and dignified burials" for Ebola victims, with trained teams using protective equipment to handle bodies.

Six patients had been receiving treatment in the tents on the grounds of the hospital - and it was reported they may have fled in the mayhem.

Reuters Medical staff climb aboard a military vehicle on the grounds of Rwampara General Hospital. One soldier pictured in camouflage has a large machine gun.Reuters

Medical staff were placed under military protection

The WHO has called it a "public health emergency of international concern", but said it was not at pandemic level.

On Wednesday, the WHO said 139 people in DR Congo were thought to have died from Ebola, out of 600 suspected cases.

However, on the same day, Congolese Health Minister Samuel Roger Kamba told state broadcaster RTNC TV that authorities had registered 159 deaths.

Two cases of the virus have been detected in DR Congo's neighbour, Uganda.

The authorities there have temporarily suspended flights, buses and all other public transport crossing the border as a result of the outbreak. Passenger ferries are also not permitted on the Semliki River, which forms part of the border between DR Congo and Uganda.

Why does Ebola keep breaking out in DR Congo?

The outbreak has been caused by a rare species of Ebola known as Bundibugyo. There is currently no vaccine for this species and the WHO has said it could take up to nine months for a jab to be ready.

On Thursday, the M23 - a rebel group that controls parts of eastern DR Congo - said it had confirmed the first case of Ebola in the South Kivu province, which is hundreds of kilometres away from the epicentre in Ituri.

The 28-year-old, who had travelled from Kisangani, died before the diagnosis was confirmed, according to a rebel statement.

Kisangani is a large city in north-central Tshopo province where no Ebola infections have currently been recorded.

There are growing concerns about access to areas under M23 control.

The group has never managed a crisis like Ebola, but has said it will work with international partners to contain the virus.

Map titled “Ebola outbreak in DR Congo and Uganda,” showing locations of reported cases in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo and parts of Uganda. Areas with cases are highlighted in red.
In DR Congo, the main cluster is in Ituri Province, labelled as having “most cases and deaths,” including regions such as Mongwalu, Rwampara, Nyakunde, and Bunia (marked as the site of the first suspected case). Additional smaller red-marked locations appear around Butembo, Goma, and Miti Murhesa.
Across the border in Uganda, a small highlighted area near Kampala is labelled “Cases confirmed in travellers from DR Congo.” Major geographic features include Lake Albert on the border and Lake Victoria in southern Uganda. Surrounding countries, including Rwanda and Tanzania, are also labelled.

Getty Images/BBC A woman looking at her mobile phone and the graphic BBC News AfricaGetty Images/BBC

Read Entire Article